STUDENT DISCIPLINE REFERRALS
1. A student referral is to be initiated by staff members and turned in to C-05.
a. If an incident occurs in the classroom and is academic related – notify teacher’s villa office prior to sending student to the teacher’s villa office.
b. If an incident is of a serious or threatening nature –Dial * 211 and security will respond promptly. Please write and submit referral to C-05 documenting the situation and identifying all involved.
2. Referral forms must be completely filled—name, date, subject, grade, villa, attitude, effort, tardiness, attendance, reason and prior action taken by teacher.
3. Serious violations such as smoking, use of drugs, fighting, and defiance of authority require an immediate student referral to an advisor. Critical emotional crisis should be immediately escorted to the A-05 Student Services.
4. Most disciplinary problems are handled on a five-step basis.
Step 1:When a student becomes a disciplinary problem in class, a student/teacher conference will be held. Teacher should notify parent of student referral via phone/ email. The teacher may request counselor participation in this conference. A Student Referral marked “For Information Only” can be submitted to the appropriate disciplinarian.
Step 2:If problems should continue, another conference with the student should be held and the student assigned detention after school.
Step 3:The student who continues to cause problems may be referred on a Student Referral Form to the student disciplinarian for further disciplinary action.
Step 4:If problems continue, a conference with the student, parent, disciplinarian, villa principal or administrator in charge of discipline may be held for possible disciplinary actions.
Step 5:If the student is having trouble in more that one class, or is a chronic violator of other school rules, stronger disciplinary action will be taken.
5. Severe Disciplinary Cases/Reasons for Suspension (E.C. 48900)
6. The following action will be taken with students who consume or use illegal drugs prior to or during school functions
a) Students will be cited or arrested by police authorities and removed from school grounds.
b) Student(s) will be placed on suspension from school and not allowed to attend any school function
c) Parents will be informed immediately by telephone and a parent conference will be held.
7. Independence High School Tardy Policy – Teachers are not to lock students out of classrooms for any reason during the regular school day under normal circumstances.
d) Action Taken for Tardies to Class
1st Tardy: Teacher option. Talk with the student and assign detention if necessary.
2nd Tardy: Teacher counsels the student and will assign a detention, with phone call home.
3rd Tardy: Teacher will assign another detention and make a second phone call home.
4th Tardy: Referral for Saturday Study Session or other appropriate action, third phone call home.
5th Tardy: If tardiness continues, schedule parent conference with villa principal
Additional Tardies: More severe action will be taken.
Note: Failure to attend detention as assigned by teacher may result in additional detention or referral to a disciplinarian for other disciplinary action.